Wednesday, July 16, 2008

so sorry

Man, I really am slacking on the posts. I guess I got all nervous when someone in my group told me my posts weren't funny but actually rather boring. Harsh?... I wasn't trying to put people in stitches. Then I realized he'd never read any of them... so apparently I'm just a boring person and therefore could only have boring posts. Whatever. If you're reading this I'm sorry if you're bored...but this is me and you obviously love me enough to listen to my boring crap (I don't really care that I might be a little boring... or a lot of boring.) Thanks guys!

So yesterday = most amazing night yet! My friend Kate and I decided to go to The Bear (an old pub) last night. No one else wanted to go, but we went anyway and realized when we got there that it was a quiz night. As the random foreign students we decided just to watch and not to participate. However, we ended up meeting some regulars at the bar who kind of adopted us onto their team. They were quite a bit older then us (that is, all except the bartender's 11 year old son who also sat with us), but we had a great time (and got really into the game). We would have failed miserably if we had done the quiz alone, but there were quite a few things that they didn't know that we were able to help out with. Thankfully I was able to answer the literature questions for the most part (otherwise I might have had to switch majors), but the British TV/TV police questions were completely lost on me. We ended up winning! And won coupons for the bar. So Kate and I each won a free pint!!! But apparently we weren't drinking 'proper beer' and were going to grow beards from our dark beers. So they bought us each a half pint of what they thought we should be drinking and we laughed and didn't complain. We also had some interesting political conversations. I was bashed a bit for being an American (they did tell me that I was smart... for an American and I asked if that was supposed to be a compliment... 'cause it actually made me really sad). What can you do as an outsider...? I just tried to be polite, honest, and kind. Hopefully that did at least a little damage control... at least with these individuals? All in all the evening was a huge success. I felt less like an ostracized American and more like an individual. I don't want to deny where I am from (I'm not going to be one of those Americans who fakes a British accent) or who I am, but that's not all wrapped up in a nationality, right? Of course right!

Today most of our group went to Stonehenge. Unfortunately I have class so I couldn't go, but maybe I'll go next week...? So I'm blogging, reading King Lear and watching more Shakespeare films. Yes!

More to come... I promise this time!

1 comment:

Nicolas Frisby said...

Sounds like fun. I'm quite jealous.